Naprapathic Doctorate Program
Get the Skills to Become a Doctor of Naprapathic Medicine in as Little as 3 Years
Naprapathic Medicine is a niche “passion career” – people who are passionate about health and wellness do it because they love it. Those with a background in sports medicine, physical therapy, massage therapy, nursing, and other healthcare professions would be suited to learn Naprapathy as their prior certifications pair well with complimentary medicine.
What is Naprapathy?
Naprapathy is manually applied movements, passive and active, designed to bring motion with consequent release of tension into abnormally tensed and rigid ligaments, muscles and articulations of the human body.
Naprapathic Doctors are connective tissue specialists. They evaluate people with connective tissue disorders through palpation (using one’s hands to examine the body). Naprapaths treat patients by gently manipulating vertebrae to stretch the attached connective tissue, which may be irritating the nerves as they exit they spinal column, causing pain.
Naprapaths may treat their patients in a variety of ways, via:
- Connective tissue manipulation (working the soft tissue, or fascia)
- Teaching therapeutic or rehabilitative exercises
- Postural counselling
- Nutrition counselling
- Use of effective properties of heat, cold, light, water, radiant energy, electricity, sound, and air
- Recommending assistive devices for the purpose of preventing, correcting or alleviating physical disability
Our Unique Program
Although similar in some capacities, Naprapathy differs from Chiropractic in critical ways. Patients view Naprapathy as an alternative to high velocity adjustments (popping and cracking) that Chiropractors utilize to treat musculoskeletal conditions. Naprapathy gently treats range of motion, muscular tension and spinal alignment.
A requirement of SUNM’s program is that participants should already have a BA in a health, physio, or anatomy related field (although there have been exceptions, such as people with engineering and military backgrounds).
Benefits of SUNM’s Program:
- Accelerated Training and Blended Online Learning – pursue your career faster with this accelerated doctoral program. The hybrid online format and 1 day class (Saturday) per week allows you to complete 4 years of university in only 3!
- On-site Clinic Internship – Before you receive your license to practice Naprapathic Medicine, you’ll complete a minimum of 350 treatments with the Clinical Internship Program.
How Naprapathy is different from other physical therapies:
- Naprapathic treatment does not require a referral from a physician
- Sports medicine industry is flooded with competing graduates whereas Naprapathy stands out as a unique treatment.
- Many physicians prefer Naprapathy as it is a gentler form of therapy that treats the soft tissue (fascia) that is at the root of most dis-ease. In other words, it treats the causes of chronic pain.
There is an increasing demand for complimentary forms of pain management, and stress relief. Naprapathy allows practitioners to treat connective tissue ailments naturally, without the use of pharmaceutical drugs to manage stress and pain.
As a graduate of the Doctorate of Naprapathy Program at SUNM, you can pursue a career in:
- Medical Doctors Clinics
- Patient Centered Medical Homes
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Other Complimentary Medical Practices
- Occupational Medicine Clinics
- Or even go on to teach in a Naprapathic College
- and more!
Licensed practitioners may even start their own practice as Naprapathic treatment is covered by many insurance packages in the state of New Mexico.
Integrative, holistic and complementary medicine and the treatment of fascia and connective tissue is a growing trend in the US, gaining more and more momentum daily.
It is even being incorporated into mainstream medical facilities and taught at major universities. Naprapathy represents an under-served niche market. There are currently only 17 licensed Naprapaths serving 300,000 insured potential clients in New Mexico alone, and 200 licensed Naprapaths nation wide.
Considering there are 80,000 chiropractors in 50 states, as Naprapathy and fascia / connective tissue treatment become advocated for by mainstream medicine as a gentler approach to treatment, the growth rate of the Naprapathy industry is potentially unlimited!
Attending Southwest University of Naprapathic Medicine will allow you the potential to become licensed. In order to attain licensure graduates must have a diploma from a school recognized by the New Mexico Medical Board. They must also successfully present their dissertation and pass the National Board of Naprapathic Examination to be licensed.
For more information about the licensing procedure please follow this link.
Start your Complementary Medicine Journey Today…
As a catalyst for the Naprapathic movement, SUNM aims to advance the Complementary and Allied Health industry with the superior quality and professionalism of its graduates. If you’re ready for a rewarding career as a Naprapathic doctor, Contact Us and we’ll help you get started! Or give us a call at 1-505-467-8777 to speak to a friendly admissions counsellor today.